Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Mom is Probably Already Planning my Funeral.

Jambo from Kenya!

I can't believe we have already been in Kenya for 5 days, the time is just flying by! So much has gone one these past 5 days and I don't even know where to begin, so I'll just talk about my first full 2 days in Kenya!

We got to Mbewau on Thursday and got to help in the classroom both days! I can't even describe how cute the kids are! On Thursday I got to work with Ryan in his KG1 (4 years olds to around 6 years old) class and on Friday I worked with Hannah S. in the babies (3 year olds to 4 year olds) class! Working with the babies class is hilarious because they don't speak very much English so they are always running up to you yelling at you in Swahili, the one thing they can say though is "Teacher picture picture!!"  My favorite part about being at the school during the school day is playing with the watotos (children) during recess. Three things that I've learned that the watotos love is 1. You taking pictures of them & them taking pictures of everything around them 2. High fives (Which basically means they try to hit your hand as hard as possible until it is bright red and you loose all feeling in your hands) 3. If you pick up one watoto then about 10 more flock too you wanting you to hold them all.

On Friday night we had a talent show with the Americans & the Mbewau staff! It was probably the funniest thing I have ever witnessed my entire life. For us Americans we all did basically the basic stuff singing, backflips, signing the entire alphabet in under 3 seconds. The Kenyans talents included signing, doing a "crazy laugh", reading the news, making various animal noises and much much more!

I'm so glad that I decided to go on this trip! I am absolutely in love with every single thing Kenya has to offer. It's going to be so hard to leave for home on Monday and as much as I miss my family and friends I just don't think I will be ready to leave here so soon. I've never met such friendly/nice people in my entire life. When we left Mbewau today (we won't be back till the Monday before we fly out) I almost started crying.

Welllll thats it for now!

Oh one last thing ¡Vamos EspaƱa!

Kwaheri

Lindsey

(My african names: CD, Santa (it isn't pronounced how you pronounce the fat white guy that comes down your chimney during Christmas, it means thank you in Swahili) also sometimes the Kenyans have trouble saying my name so I've been called Nancy and Onesy)




Meet some of the adorable kids I got to hang out with the past 4 days:





No comments:

Post a Comment