Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Few More Hours

Hello friends! This is my very first blog post, and I am pretty excited about it! I think it's more excitement about leaving in a few hours, but I am now a proud blogger! 


When I think about these past few months-the Wednesday night meetings with my team, the endless blessings from wonderful donors, and a super great garage sale-it's so crazy to think that it all comes down to this. This moment. In a few hours, I'll be back with my team prepping for our flights to Mombasa. In two days, my feet will be standing on Kenyan soil and it's a moment I have been waiting for for months! 


Up until today, I had no anxiety or fears, just excitement pulsing through me. But as I was packing today, it hit me. I'll actually be on a completely different continent with no family, no cellphone service (for communication purposes, of course), and no Whataburger (that isn't such a big deal...but still). Immediately, I felt the anxiety coming on, but then I remembered something so much more important: MY God is bigger than all my fears and worries. MY God is powerful and moves in mighty ways. MY God is sending me to Africa to fulfill the plan He has for me. The worry that sits in the back of my mind has no control over the HUGE plans God has in store for me when I step onto the Kenyan soil. It is such a comforting and powerful picture! God is going to move in some indescribably amazing ways in Mombasa, and I am so thankful that He has chosen me to witness it all! 


Just a week ago, I was at a summer camp for two weeks as a counselor to 6-8 year old girls and they were quite the handful! I loved every minute I spent with my girls and with every camper at that camp. It's going to be so awesome to go from loving on American kids at a summer camp in Trinity, Texas to loving on Kenya children in Mombasa, Kenya. Talk about polar opposites! Yet, God called me to both. To love and care for children at a summer camp for two weeks and then to head over to the other side of the globe to love and care for children in Mombasa. Pretty stinking rad if you ask me! I'd say it's been an amazingly wonderful summer and it's not even July yet! I can't wait to come home from Kenya to reflect on my experiences at both places and to see how very different they were, but also, how similar they were. 


I've left quite a long post, so I'll wrap it up! A very wise friend of mine (aka my fellow Impact BG partner) shared this quote with me by Hudson Taylor, and it's been one that I have burned into my memory. "God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supplies." I absolutely love it! 


Time to get some rest and I'll blog again in Mombasa! Eeeeee!
Hannah



No comments:

Post a Comment